FMP – Monoprinting Samples

I didn’t set a SMART target to complete these samples as I only thought to do them last minute at the end of a college day – 02/05/2018. I didn’t plan to do these but after seeing someone else printing something and remember I have monoprinted before and it was really successful, I decided to have a go of doing it with four of my initial primary photos from my empowerment photoshoots. I have done a monoprint of Jess, Emma, Charlie and Hannah, and I am going to evaluate these below.

What was good or successful about this body of work?

The monoprints turned out really successful and I am so pleased about this because I got to test out something I really enjoy doing for my FMP. I have monoprinted so many times before and I said at the beginning of my project that I wanted to incorporate this into my FMP somehow, and I was beginning to think I wouldn’t get the chance but I am so happy with the final outcome of these prints. The ink didn’t print onto barely any of the fabric I didn’t want it to, and the textured effect of the final outcome makes these prints look more detailed than they actually are, and I really love this effect. I also think the empowered stances can still be seen through these prints even though they aren’t the primary photos. The sense of strength and empowerment can still be seen and felt through the fabric sample. The prints even look so similar to the actual photos and the people so this was really successful.

What was less successful about this work? What failings arose and which ideas were not achieved?

I didn’t really have any ideas about these samples before I went into doing them, and this is because I hadn’t actually even planned to do them. I kind of expected them to work because of the fact that I had done them in the past and they had all worked really well, so I was pleasantly surprised when they turned out even better than expect. Because I didn’t have any ideas to begin with, there wasn’t any to not achieve. Other than the process being a bit messy, I can’t think of any failures that have arose and I find every aspect to be successful.

What have I learnt from this?

I have learnt, yet again, why I love monoprinting so much and why I knew I wanted to continue to use this technique again. I printed onto calico, and this material picked up the ink really well, and I know I want to use a lighter, more see through and possibly pink fabric, so I don’t know how well the monoprinting would work onto this type of material, and I don’t really believe I have the time to do more samples to test it out. I am just glad I tried it with the calico, and I don’t think the harshness of the black would work well with soft pink fabric anyway.

What can I take forward for ongoing development?

For ongoing development, I am definitely going to take forward the usage of the faces of the women who have done my interviews, and I think that could possibly it because, whilst I know I am going to take printing forward, it may not be this method of printing and chain printing instead.

Toni ♥

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s